[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

Re: **New and Dangerous Computer Virus** (fwd)

At 12:21 AM 4/1/96 -0400, Still wrote:
>I don't know if this is a load of crap or not so feel free to believe as
>much of it as you want.
>
>>***Do not download any file named PKZIP300.ZIP regardless of the extension.***
>>
>>WARNING!!!!! Read the following and take note for those of you whohave
>>access to the web and FTP sites ... BE WARE!!! Notify your friends and
>>family and total strangers too!!!  No one wants to deal with this
>>what-so-ever.

This trojan does exist.  it is not new.  It is not as dangerous as people
seem to believe.  (It only nukes your files sometimes.  It is pretty buggy
as trojans go.)  There are two versions floating around, pkz300 and pkz301.
Both are trojans.  One will actually show in a virus scan.  Both of them
have been around for at least three years, perhaps longer.

---
Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon